Welcome to Film Studies in the School of Arts
Our courses will open your eyes to the endless technological and creative possibilities of this exciting visual medium.
Why choose Film Studies at Oxford Brookes University?
Our BA and MA Film Studies courses combine the academic rigour of a traditional programme with practical and vocational components. This exciting and varied curriculum will make you stand out from the crowd when applying for a variety of careers in the film and media industry: from film, TV and media journalism to research; from production management for film and TV companies to creative writing for the screen.
Benefits of studying Film at Brookes
- Join an honourable tradition of academic teaching in the creative arts at Oxford Brookes University. The course at Oxford Brookes is primarily theory-based and more detail about modules is available here.
- Design your own programme of study by combining and selecting courses from a wide range of subjects.
- Benefit from strong links to professionals from the film and media industry who regularly contribute to undergraduate modules.
- Participate in exciting Film Studies Events, where you will meet guest speakers happy to discuss their roles in the film industry with you.
- Get creative with our film production facilities including: industry standard edit suites (including Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Final Draft) and top of the line HD equipment.
- Study abroad through our many links to Film Studies courses in the USA, Australia, Europe and Asia.
Links to industry
Film Studies at Oxford Brookes University is proud of its extensive links with the film industry: locally, nationally and internationally. Our team of media professionals form an advisory board providing expert guidance on what the industry expects from Film Studies graduates as well as contributing to our varied teaching programme. Visiting speakers contribute to the degree programmes and also to the Film Research Seminar series.
Oxford Brookes Film Productions
The principal aim of Oxford Brookes Film Productions is to bring together people from various courses to work on and produce short films of a high quality. This allows students to develop more projects above and beyond what they might do within their course and put together a portfolio of work that they can take with them from their time at University.
We also host screenings of student work, try and get them screened at festivals and support the production of student films as best we can. Making a film (short or otherwise) is a collaborative process involving many people and we feel that other courses and areas within the University have key roles to play and invite them to join us.
Why Oxford is a great place to study Film
Oxford has a unique cinematic life and benefits from two multiplex and two art cinemas, which organise retrospectives of classic and contemporary films, special events with filmmakers, and film festivals. As one of the world's great academic cities, Oxford is a key centre of debate, with conferences, seminars and forums taking place across education, science, the arts and many other subjects.