Film Studies & Digital Media Production
Welcome to Research in the School of Arts
Our students develop, produce and exhibit challenging contemporary artworks in a wide range of media.
Arts Research Practice is an interdisciplinary research cluster that brings together researchers from the fields of Architecture, Drama, Film Studies, Art and Design, Music, and Technology supporting and enriching the interdisciplinary activities of the practice-based research units situated in the School of Arts.
AN OVERVIEW OF FINE ARTS AT OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY
Senior Lecturer Tiffany Black
Our staff to student ratio is very good, and all our members of staff are practicing professional artists so they really do understand the process of making art. Students can access our facilities 24/7 so they can work on their own and at their own pace and very student is allocated their own student space.
The staff who teach Fine Art & Design in the School of Arts have a wide range of practice and research interests and expertise including:
- Contemporary practices in Sculpture; Painting; Photography; Video; Sound; Installation; digitally generated and manipulated work; bookworks; printmaking.
- The dynamics of site; movement, structure, chance and time and how they might be used to convey meaning via video works.
- Practice and theory of Sound Art.
- Art writing.
- Museums, Heritage and Contemporary Art.
- Curatorial interventions.
- Performative actions and the artist's body.
- Social Sculpture and the legacy of Joseph Beuys.
- Practice engaged with environmental and colonial discourse.
Oxford is a great place to study Fine Art & Design
Oxford is an extraordinary cultural centre, with the Ashmolean Museum, Christ Church Picture Gallery, Modern Art Oxford and a rich variety of architecture available for the study of Art. As an Oxford Brookes student you will benefit from special relationships with contemporary galleries Modern Art Oxford, OVADA, O3 Gallery and the Old Fire Station. Regular exhibitions of student work take place in and around the city. We are also conveniently located for access to London's galleries, exhibitions and museums.