Dr Paolo Russo
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Paolo Russo holds a PhD in Film and Media (University of Rome III) and joined Brookes in 2007, having previously taught Film History, Film Theory and Italian Cinema at the universities of Florence, California State and Sarah Lawrence College.
Tre giorni d’anarchia (Three Days of Anarchy) 2006 - Co-written by Paolo Russo
Paolo is also a screenwriter. He is co-creator and co-head writer of the upcoming TV drama series Burns (adapted from Jimmy Burns’ best selling book Papa Spy) currently in preproduction with LA-based CYSA Productions, with Hollywood star Jack Huston in the lead role.
His Tre giorni d'anarchia (Three Days of Anarchy, 2006) was premiered successfully at Tokyo, San Francisco NICE, Mar del Plata and many other international film festivals. As a videomaker, he has made shorts that were broadcast by RaiSat and premiered at the Venice Film Festival.
He has also worked as a translator of screenplays and videogames, and as a script reader and editor for Italian and Hollywood majors and global companies such as Columbia Tri-Star, Universal, Microsoft and Nintendo.
- U64003 Film History
- U64004 Film Form
- U64006 Film Narrative: Principles of Screenwriting
- U64022 Screenwriting: Advanced Level (double)
- U64099 Dissertation in Film Studies (double)
- U64027 Film Production Management and Practice
- U64070 Film Project
- P64005 Story Development
Paolo Russo studies American and Italian cinemas, TV drama series, likes Kubrick, Lynch and Kaufman, and researches and writes about screenwriting, story development within industrial practice, film narrative, TV drama formats, film history and genres.
- Screenwriting studies
- Film narrative
- TV drama series
- Film history
- Film genres (noir, crime-thriller, horror, cyberpunk)
- Film theory
- Migration in films
- Alternative/cult/extreme cinema
- Research Coordinator of FSRU (Film Studies Research Unit) and of the Film Studies UoA
- Member of ARP (Arts Research Practice), an interdisciplinary research cluster hosted by the School of Arts that fosters practice and performance-led research.
- Member of the School of Arts Research Committee
- Member of the RKEC (Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee)
Paolo is also a member of:
- Screenwriting Research Network (SRN)
- Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image (SCSMI)
- Leverhulme Trust International Network "Migration in Contemporary Media and Narrative" based at ISO, University of Oxford
- New Review of Film and Television Studies (Routledge)-Book reviews editor
- Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies (Intellect)
- L’Avventura. Italian Film and Media Studies Journal (Il Mulino)
- Italian Frame book series (Mimesis)
- "Cinemaespanso" Film Studies series (Bulzoni)
Reviewer for peer-reviewed journals (Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies, Journal of Screenwriting, Studies in European Cinema, L’Avventura. Italian Film and Media Studies Journal) and publishers (Oxford University Press, Edinburgh University Press, Intellect, Continuum); external reviewer for the AHRC.
Monographs and Edited Volumes
- (co-ed.) ‘Imagining the post-forensic landscape: the crime drama on transnational television’. Special issue of New Review of Film and Television Studies (Routledge), 2016
- (ed.) Nero su bianco. Sceneggiatura e sceneggiatori in Italia. Quaderni del CSCI 2014/10.
- Storia del cinema italiano. Lindau:2008 (2nd ed.).
- (ed.) Ettore Scola. XVI Evento Speciale Mostra Internazionale del Nuovo Cinema di Pesaro:2002.
- (co-ed.) Italian Cinema of the 1990s. XIV Evento Speciale Mostra Internazionale del Nuovo Cinema di Pesaro:2000.
- ‘Forms of cyborgism in Gabriele Salvatores’ Nirvana’. In Federico Giordano (ed.) Bodification and Post-Cinema, Milan-Udine: Mimesis, 2017.
- 'The Politics of the Production System'. In Giancarlo Lombardi and Christian Uva (eds) Nuovo cinema politico. Public life, imaginary and identity in contemporary Italian film. Oxford: Peter Lang 2016
- 'Suso Cecchi d'Amico'. In Jill Nelmes and Jule Selbo (eds)Women Screenwriters. An International Guide. Palgrave Macmillan: London 2015.
- ‘If you have it you can do it: Mildred Pierce come modello di self-made woman nell’America della Grande Depression’. In Cristina Giorcelli, Marina Morbiducci (eds) M/Others. Scansioni di alterità. Guida Editori: Naples 2015.
- 'Migration told through noir convention in Tornatore’s The Unknown Woman and Garrone's Gomorrah. Emma Bond, Guido Bonsaver and Federico Faloppa (eds) Destination Italy: Representing Migration in Contemporary Media and Narrative. Peter Lang: Oxford 2015.
- ‘Sorvegliato speciale: il dibattito su terrorismo e rieducazione tra politica e società civile attraverso i progetti televisivi di Giuseppe De Santis’. In Monica Jansen, Maria Bonaria Urban (eds) Televisionismo. Narrazioni televisive della storia italiana negli anni della Seconda Repubblica. Edizioni Ca’ Foscari: Venice 2015.
- ‘Pain is in the Mind: Dream Narrative in Inception and Shutter Island'. In Warren Buckland (ed.) Hollywood Puzzle Films. Routledge: London & New York 2014.
- 'Paranoid androids: per una teoria del film italiano di genere'. In Franco Montini (ed.) Istantanee sul cinema italiano. Film, volti, idee del nuovo millennio. Rubbettino: Rome 2012.
- 'Narrarive models and structure in Nanni Moretti's recent films'. In Vito Zagarrio (ed.) Nanni Moretti: il cinema, i film. Marsilio: Venice 2012.
- 'Displacement and Migration in Contemporary Italian Cinema'. In Ronald De Roji, Mauro Scorretti, Maria Bonaria Urban, Ineke Vedder (eds.) Le frontiere del Sud. CUEC 2012.
- 'Body Vs. Technology. Myths and Identity in Gabriele Salvatores's Nirvana'. In Lucy Bolton and Christina Siggers Manson (eds.) Italy on Screen: National Identity and Imaginary. Peter Lang: London 2010.
- 'Sadism and masochism in Dario Argento's Trilogy of the Mothers'. In Vito Zagarrio (ed.) Il cinema di Dario Argento. Marsilio: Venice 2008.
- 'Almost Noir. A theoretical approach to the Italian genre films of the last decade'. In Franco Montini (ed.) Immagini di parole. Cinema e letteratura nell'Italia di oggi. FAC-Agis: Rome 2007.
- 'The destruction of pleasure in Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut'. In Vito Zagarrio (ed.) Overlooking. Nuovi sguardi su Kubrick. Audino: Rome 2006.
- 'Staging the anguish. Dario Argento and horror'. In Vito Zagarrio (ed.) Storia del cinema italiano – Vol. XIII 1977-1985. Marsilio/Edizioni di Bianco & Nero: Venice 2005.
- 'Italian comedy between past and present'. In Vito Zagarrio (ed.) Storia del cinema italiano – Vol. XIII 1977-1985. Marsilio/Edizioni di Bianco & Nero: Venice 2005.
- 'The Repubblic in films'. In Maurizio Ridolfi (ed.) Almanacco per la Repubblica. Istituzioni, simboli e linguaggio del patriottismo repubblicano nella storia dell'Italia contemporanea. Paravia/Bruno Mondadori Editore: Milan 2003.
- ‘Fictionalizing history in HBO’s Boardwalk Empire’. In Dana Renga (ed.) Mafia Movies (2nd ed.). Toronto University Press.
- ‘Storylining engagement with repulsive antiheroes: Towards a cognitive poetics of TV serial drama narrative: The case of Gomorrah – The Series’, Journal of Screenwriting, 8:1, 2017.
- ‘Il dolore nella mente, il corpo nella narrazione: puzzle scripting in Inception’, Imago. Studi di cinema e media, 12, 2016 – Special issue: Oltre il corpo del cinema. Reti, virtualità, apparati. Edited by Christian Uva and Vito Zagarrio.
- ‘Beyond Perverse Allegiance: The Problem of Viewers’ Engagement in Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Salò or The 120 Days of Sodom’. Senses of Cinema, 77, December 2015 (Dossier: “The Legacy of Pier Paolo Pasolini”) Available online at: http://sensesofcinema.com/2015/pier-paolo-pasolini/viewers-engagement-in-salo/
- 'La politica come sistema produttivo'. Rivista di politica, 1, 2014.
- '“The De Santis case”: Screenwriting, political boycott and archival research'. Journal of Screenwriting 5:1, 2014.
- '“Does political scare you?” And other ideological questions'. The Italianist 33:2, 2013.
- 'La regia dei film sull'immigrazione'. Quaderni del CSCI, 2012/8.
- 'I rapporti Nord/Sud: la migrazione interna nel cinema italiano'. In Jean A. Gili (ed.) Storie del Bel Paese. L'Italia attraverso il cinema dal Risorgimento a oggi (1861-2011). Quaderni del CSCI, 2011/7.
- 'Giuseppe De Santis'. In Jean A. Gili (ed.) Storie del Bel Paese. L'Italia attraverso il cinema dal Risorgimento a oggi (1861-2011). Quaderni del CSCI, 2011/7.
- 'Look/Fuck: the Phallus is NOT the penis. Identification and debasement of the Subject in Eyes Wide Shut'. Cinema Sessanta, 252, 2000.
- 'Postmodern aspects in the films written by Tom Stoppard'. Cinema Sessanta, 244, 1999.
- 'Tre readings of Shakespeare in Love'. Cinema Sessanta, 244, 1999.
- 'Literature, cinema and the imaginary'. Il Ponte, 6, 1999.
- Gianni Canova (ed.) Garzantina Cinema. Garzanti: Milan 2002. (Filmmakers and actors entries: Abbot & Costello, Alberini, Aldo, Asner, Attenborough, Asquith, Balasz, Balcon, Bara, Barbaro, Bergman, Bettetini, Bitzer, Bolt, Borzage, Brakhage, Brooks, Browning, Calcina, Canudo, Chiarini, Clarke, Comencini, Contini, Curtiz, Delluc, Del Giudice, De Mille, Deren, Duvivier, Ermey, Friese-Greene, Gandolfini, Guglielmi, Hampton, Hare, Hepworth, Herschell Lewis, Ivory, Jacobini, Johnston, Kassovitz, Kaurismaki, Kennedy, King, Korda, Kubrick, Kuleshov, Kureishi, Kusturica, Laemmle, Lattuada, Leoni, Lewton, Loach, H. Mankiewicz, Mari, Maselli, McEwan, Mekas, Menke, Meszaros, Miller, Montaldo, Morgan, Niepce, Omegna, Orfini, Osborne, Pacchioni, Pasolini, Patrick, Petri, Pinter, Rattigan, Reisz, Rhames, Richardson, Rickman, Rock, Rosi, Roth, Salvatores, Scarpelli, Schrader, Shepard, Silvestri, Singleton, Skarsgard, Sobieski, Stallone, Stoppard. Plus 96 technical entries).
- Tamara Alessi et al., English-Italian Dictionary of technical and financial terms in the film and audiovisual industry. Tecniche Nuove: Milan 1999. (750 entries)
- ‘Between Artistic Freedom & Norms’, 9th Screenwriting Research Network international conference, Leeds Beckett University/Leeds University, September 2016 – Paper: ‘HBO’s Boardwalk Empire: constraining history into the serial drama format.’
- ‘Time, Memory, Identity in the Images of the New Millennium”, Cinema & History conference, University of Rome 3, November 2015 – Paper: ‘“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” Fictionalizing history in Boardwalk Empire’
- ‘Screenwriting, Text and Performance’, 8th Screenwriting Research Network international conference, IGRS - University College London, September 2015 – Paper: ‘Towards a cognitive poetics of TV series drama narrative: the case of Gomorra’
- ‘The Legacy of Pasolini’ international conference, University of Yale, March 2015 – Paper: ‘Between affective incongruency and perverse allegiance: the problem of viewers’ engagement in Pasolini’s Salò or The 120 Days of Sodom’
- XIII MAGIS International Film Studies Spring School, University of Udine-Gorizia, March 2015 – Workshop paper: ‘Puzzling cyborgism in Nirvana’
- 'Screenwriting & Directing Audiovisual Media', 7th Screenwriting Research Network international conference, Film University “Konrad Wolf”, Babelsberg-Potsdam, October 2014 – Paper: 'From Romanzo Criminale to ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards) and Gomorrah: Exporting the Italian writers’ room model from TV drama to feature'
- ‘Mirroring myths - International conference on myths in contemporary culture between Europe and America’, CRISA-University of Rome 3, May 2014 – Paper: 'Rome! By all means, Rome! Mitopoiesi della “grande bellezza” di Roma attraverso il cinema americano'
- ‘Forme e miti nel cinema americano’ symposium, Teatro Palladium, CRISA-University of Rome 3, May 2014 – Paper: Keynote on myth in narrative structure of post-classical Hollywood films
- 19th International Conference on Film Studies, Teatro Palladium, University of Rome 3, November 13 – Paper: 'Pain is the mind, the body is in the story: puzzle scripting in Inception'
- 'Screenwriting in a Global & Digital World', 6th Screenwriting Research Network international conference, University of Wisconsin-Madison, August 2013 – Paper: 'Presentation of encyclopedia of screenwriting project'
- RomaTre Film Festival, 8th annual conference, Teatro Palladium, University of Rome 3 – Respondent at special event: 'Fenomenologia del cinepanettone: Ri-vedere il film di Natale?'
- 'Patterns of protest in modern Italy', ASMI annual conference, IGRS - University College London, November 2012 – Paper: 'The “De Santis case”: political boycott to silence the voice of protest in film'
- 'Words and Images' Screenwriting Network International conference, Macquarie University, Sydney, September 2012 - Paper: 'The De Santis Case: political boycott and archive research'
- 'New Echoes and Voices in Italian Studies, 5th annual conference, Rome, Teatro dell'Orologio, June 2012 – Paper: 'Narrative and narration in migration films'
- International conference of the Leverhulme Trust Research Hub on Migration in Italy, University of Oxford, April 2012 – Paper: 'A procedural epistemology of narrative and narration in migration films'
- International conference 'Contemporary Representations of Organised Crime in Italy and Beyond', University of Kent, Canterbury 8-9 June 2011 - Paper: 'Complex narrative, genre and mise-en-scene in Gomorrah'
- International conference Cine-Excess V - Subverting the Senses: The Politics and Aesthetics of Excess, London 26-28 May 2011 - Paper: 'Masochism and pornography in The 120 Days of Sodom'
- Workshop of Leverhulme Trust Research Hub on Migration in Italy, CUNY, February 2011 – Paper: 'Mise-en-scène in genre films about migration'
- 'On the Image' conference, UCLA, December 2010 – Paper: “The CSI format. Use of CAQDA software for a quantitative/qualitative analysis of narrative in film and TV series: a pilot project'
- Workshop of Leverhulme Trust Research Hub on Migration in Italy, Monash Centre, Prato, September 2010 – Paper: 'Migration as a social and cultural issue in genre films: The Unknown Woman'
- Film-Philosophy Conference III, University of Warwick, July 2010 – Paper: 'Puzzle narrative and cyborgization in Nirvana'
- Invited speaker, round table on Cult Television series with Roberta Pearson and Jane Feuer, University of Rome 3, May 2010
- Invited speaker, round table on Dario Argento with Dario Argento and Xavier Mendik, University of Rome 3, May 2010
- Invited speaker, round table on Dario Argento with Vito Zagarrio and Xavier Mendik, University of Lecce, May 2010
- 'Crisis and Rebirth in Contemporary Italian cinema' conference, University of Warwick, January 2010 – Paper: 'Masochism and pornography in The 120 Days of Sodom'
- 'Popular Italian Cinema' conference, King's College London, May 2009 – Paper: 'Stars and sexuality: the boycott of Giuseppe De Santis's dangerous body politics'
- Invited speaker to workshop of Leverhulme Trust Research Hub on Migration in Italy, ISO, Said Business School, Oxford, February 2009 – Paper: 'Proposals for a research project on migration in Italian contemporary cinema'
- Co-organizer of the Society for Italian Studies 2008 Postgraduate Conference, University of Reading (forthcoming, June 2008).
- 'Le frontiere del Sud', University of Amsterdam, April 2008 – 'Verso Sud. La poetica del displacement nel cinema italiano contemporaneo'.
- 'Mind/Body' conference, University of Reading, July 2007 – 'Cyborgized bodies and digital death'.
- Biennial Conference of the Society for Italian Studies, University of Bangor, July 2007 – 'Ideologized female bodies in the films by Giuseppe De Santis'.
- 'Italy on Screen' conference, IGRS - University College London, 2007 – 'Body and subjectivity in Salvatores's cinema'.
- 'Italy on Screen' conference, IGRS - University College London, 2007 – Chair of panel: 'The Italian imaginary'.
- Society for Italian Studies Postgraduate Colloquium, University of Bristol, 2006 – 'The representation of the body in Gabriele Salvatores's cinema'.
- Society for Italian Studies Postgraduate Colloquium, University of Bristol, 2006 – Chair of panel: 'Italy's economic miracle'.
- Society for Italian Studies Conference, IGRS - University College London, 2006 – 'Dialectics of spaces in Dario Argento's films'.
- International Postgraduate Colloquium on the Sociology of Culture, University of Trento, 2006 – 'Dangerous games: mutations of culture and games in contemporary cinema'
- International conference 'Dalla pagina allo schermo. Registi e scrittori: la nuova generazione', University of Tuscia-Viterbo, 2003 – 'Cinema and literature: past and recent trends'.
- Invited reading. Caffé Storico Letterario Giubbe Rosse, Florence, 2003 – 'Film Pathé en pochette and the emergence of the visual culture in the early years of cinema'.
- International conference Overlooking: Stanley Kubrick oltre lo sguardo, Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Rome 1998 – 'A-Z of Kubrick's cinema'.