Develop your creative skills in a truly inspirational setting
Taking a practical and hands-on approach to art, design, film and photography, our programme features over twenty courses to develop your creative skills. Open to all over the ages of 14, course participants enjoy access to the School of Arts' leading-edge facilities at the Richard Hamilton Building.
Art, Design and Craft
Preparing your portfolio for application to art and design courses can be a daunting prospect. By enrolling on our preparation courses you will leave feeling confident in your approach to preparing and presenting your work with the reassurance of a one-to-one tutorial with one of our team.
During the course you choose, you will also have the opportunity to experience the foundation art and design course first hand and all it has to offer by completing an experimental project brief. This will produce a body of work which you can use in your portfolio. The project will introduce fundamental ways of working as an artist and designer within the pathways of Fine Art, 3D Design, Visual Communication or Fashion/Textiles.
At the end of the chosen preparation course you will be able to:
- experiment with a range of media, techniques and approaches in observational drawing
- communicate and develop ideas through the use of research, sketchbooks, experimental drawing, worksheets and maquettes
- explore working in both 2D and 3D in a variety of materials
- document and evidence all stages of the project for portfolio presentation
- select, organise and professionally present a portfolio of artwork for application to a foundation art and design programme
- identify strengths and areas for development in preparation for an application to a foundation art and design programme.
The School of Arts at Oxford Brookes University is home to one of the premier fine art departments in the country, renowned for its innovative and cross-disciplinary approach to creative practice. From learning how to work with glass to discovering new printmaking techniques, our courses cover a diversity of media, techniques and technologies.
With all materials required to undertake the course included, course participants can take home their new works - perfect for building your portfolio and kick-starting exciting new directions for your creative practice. As well as bringing together local artists and aspiring amateurs, our short courses attract visitors from all around the UK.
Whether you are visiting for a week or a day, there is nowhere like Oxford to ignite your creativity. Short courses at Oxford Brookes let you experience the lively, cosmopolitan life of one of the world’s great student cities.